Thursday, May 19, 2011

Winchester

Well, folks, 75 miles down, a couple thousand to go.  My driver and I, my best friend Thomas, have arrived in Winchester, VA.  It's now 4:30 in the afternoon, we got here around 3:30.  I left this morning from Wesley Theological Seminary in D.C. at 8:30, so it took me approximately 7 hours to ride 75 miles, plus about an hour for lunch.  Pretty good time, I think.  We had a few snafoos along the way.  The battery on the two-way radios that I'm taking with me to communicate with Thomas died early on, so we had to re-strategize.  But we made it just fine.

I am proud to have worn custom Wesley Theological Seminary riding gear.  Lots of people were staring.  And I must admit, I am extremely grateful for their support.  They are paying for $750.00 of bike equipment and other accessories that I dearly need to make this trip as smooth and efficient and worry-free as possible.  I'm not surprised, though.  Wesley is indeed very social justice oriented and have been excited about supporting this trip for a long time.

I chose to come here to Winchester as my first stop because of my favorite historical character: General Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson.  Strange that I would consider a general as my favorite historical character because I am a Christian pacifist.  But Jackson's stalwart faith and creativity in the face of chaos and disaster is extremely inspiring to me.  And, honestly, I am also very interested in war, despite my pacifism.  Jackson camped here in Winchester in the winter of 1862 and it was the last time that he saw his wife and newly born daughter before being killed-in-action at the Battle of Chancellorsville.  So being here actually means a lot to me, because it's the last Stonewall Jackson historical sight that I needed to go to.

Yet, my interested in Winchester is strange on another level.  Though Jackson had a stalwart faith, he did fight for the Confederacy.  Now here I am fighting for the slaves.  I can't ignore the irony.  More importantly, though, I can't ignore the fact that while I may have come to Winchester with different intentions than Stonewall Jackson, and I may have learned from the mistakes of history and of historical characters, we in general have not learned from history.  We read about slavery in this country and around the world a couple hundred years ago and thank God that we don't live in a society like that anymore.  Ha!  There are more slaves now than the total amount of slaves ever before 1865.  Our outrage is misplaced.

Let's get our priorities straight, eh?  I went to the Polaris Project headquarters the other day and they told me a couple of heart-wrenching stories.  I'll tell you one now as an example of how to get our priorities straight.

There was a domestic slave being held in New Jersey.  That's right, New Jersey.  A domestic slave is one who is held inside a house as a maid, basically, but a slave; not allowed to leave, not allowed to do anything but what the family who owns the slave tells them to do.  Well this domestic slave eventually was allowed to go to church on Sunday mornings.  After awhile, someone at the church realized that the slave was coming to church week after week looking depressed, wearing the same clothes, and not talking to anyone.  So the congregant asked the slave if they were ok; no response.  Eventually the slave trusted the congregant and started to tell them what was going on, and the congregant called the Human Trafficking Hotline through Polaris Project, posted at the top of this website, and the FBI were able to rescue the slave from their owners.

Take a look around you.  Be aware of your surroundings.  Care for people other than yourself.  See every human being as a human being and treat them with the respect that they deserve, no matter what condition of life they seem to be in.  Let's get our priorities straight.

No comments:

Post a Comment