Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Malcolm X

Tomorrow is Malcolm X's birthday.  If the readers of this blog are anything like the people that I have come across in my short life, then you may very well know little of Malcolm X; and the little you do know may be somewhat negative.  But for me, Malcolm X and (in my mind) his South African counterpart, Steve Biko, are heroes for all people.

Tomorrow I will be spending the night in Winchester and will probably write about Stonewall Jackson.  For now I want you to understand that Malcolm X and Steve Biko fought for the consciousness of human beings.  Of course they pushed for more equal tangible rights, but they both understood something and tried to help others see the same: every human being is already of inestimable worth.  All human beings are already equal.  It was their duty to help each individual see how much worth and potential they have. 

That's what is such a shame about slavery in the world today.  People are convinced that they are, in fact, not worth anything.  And when I think that anyone could ever be convinced of that I am brought to tears.  Listen: you are of inestimable worth.  And so is everyone else.  So let's create a world where everyone can claim their individual worth and potential.

No comments:

Post a Comment