Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Spy Hunter

Tomorrow I start my bike ride.  Tomorrow I start pedaling those revolutions for the 27 million slaves.  Tomorrow I will start blogging about things more directly related to the ride: my reflections, what happens during the day, and stories and articles from Polaris Project.  So for now, here is one last post using Project 86.  These lyrics are from their song, "The Spy Hunter," off the album Songs to Burn Your Bridges By.

"One last disguise

Pawns standing in awe of the game
Of the stage
You've worked so hard at building an empire
Of secret rooms to display yourself
And add to your wealth
The sting of.
Oh, it stings
When I saw it all come crashing
I witnessed the sound of a million voices
Screaming for a public hanging

So hide yourself, hide, hide yourself for now. (2x)

We caught you plotting murder
And now the Tide is Turning
We'll light our souls, heal our bones
Upon your empire burning (2x)

When the world is a target for humanity's market
And all of it's sold for a dime
I've seen the towers of gods
And the power of men
In disguises of the worst kind
I am the words on the page
I am the death among life today
I am the voice of one among the silent
Who's tired of burning among the flames

So hide yourself, hide, hide yourself for now. (2x)

We caught you plotting murder
And now the Tide is Turning
We'll light our souls, heal our bones
Upon your empire burning (2x)

I do not need anymore truthless heroes (3x)
We don't need no truthless heroes

So hide yourself, hide, hide yourself for now. (2x)

We caught you plotting murder
And now the Tide is Turning
We'll light our souls, heal our bones
Upon your empire burning (2x)

I need truth"

We don't need no truthless heroes, I need truth.  What a relevant thing to say considering that slaves are so often tricked into their servitude by promises of grandeur and hope.  Once someone is tricked, how are they ever supposed to know who is telling them the truth?  How are they ever supposed to trust again, even someone who is genuinely intent on helping them?

Here's the problem I see: we convince ourselves that to be successful in the business world, or any world for that matter.  I don't mean to bash my parents, I love them very much and greatly respect their advice, but growing up I'd often hear that sometimes the only way to attain the success that I deserve is to step on the toes of others.  And I was planning on being a teacher.  I have no doubt that they are correct, though.  We have entered into a system where one must lie, steal, cheat, and/or push other people around to get anywhere in life.  Maybe you can see where I'm going with this--as long as we continue to enter into that system we validate it.  So we are also validating the worst manifestations of that system: tricking people into slavery to make money or, in the case of domestic slavery especially, just to feel good about ourselves. 

You and I have the power to destroy that system.  This song is about a witness to the truth confronting the powers of evil and injustice, the Devil, or whatever you want to call it.  When we see the truth for the first time we realize that all along we have been pawns in the game and injustice has disguised itself in so many different forms.  We can either sit back and let it all continue to unfold or we can say to injustice, "You better run into some serious hiding because we're coming for you."

We have caught injustice/evil plotting murder, and we can stand up to be the voice of the oppressed silent screaming for a public hanging of all the unjust powers in this world.  We can be the words of the Bible lived out in a radical way, we can proclaim death to the so-called life of this world.  Join hands with your church, your family, your friends, your neighbors, and scream to the world, "No, I don't need you, I need truth, and there are 27 million slaves in the world today who desperately need truth.  I am their voice, and I will not stand for this anymore."

All around you the powers of men, slavery, is disguised in different ways.  Call the National Human Trafficking Hotline (the number is at the top of this website), learn how to recognize slavery.  It's time to stand up.  It's time to see the world as it really is.  It's time to say, No.  It's time to be the voice I'm sure you've always wanted to be, the voice for the voiceless. 

No comments:

Post a Comment