Saturday, May 28, 2011

New Skin

-->
(Many thanks to Maggie Ulmer for posting this blog for me while I experience some technical difficulties)

Thomas and I arrived here in Akron at a Motel 6, and after taking a shower and getting comfortable and such, I turned on the TV and found the painter guy, Bob Ross.  That made me instantly happy.  But now Thomas is making me stare at his knee, which continues to heal, but it is so deep I can’t look at it for very long.  And we’ve realized we can’t plug in our Nintendo 64, which is a big bummer.  It’s all right, though, he should probably read a book or something.

I woke up this morning thinking about Thomas’s knee.  Yesterday he and I talked about how fascinating the human body is that even with a cut that deep his body will heal, keep the wound clean, and then form new skin over it.  It was one of those moments where most people probably would have called us nerds.  Seriously, though, how amazing is that?  His body will divert white blood cells to protect the wound, then retrieve the DNA necessary to create new skin, then send in stem cells to actually create the new skin.  Unbelievable.  Also unbelievable that it requires an act of healing for us to marvel at God’s creation… or, if we don’t believe in God, in the genius of nature. 

So, while I do not think that I’ve been perfectly healed of everything in a few days time, the comments I have received from you all on this blog and reflecting on Thomas’s physical healing process, I can take strength in knowing that I am in the middle of a mysterious and amazing healing process.  Thank you to all of you who have helped me take confidence and strength in myself even in this time of journeying through the desert.  In the spirit of healing, I’m going to chronicle as best as I can some of the funny stories and conversations from today.  Before I do that, though, I ask that you think about how incredible and inspiring the stories of healing could be if we rescue the many slaves in the world and let them teach us what real healing looks like. 

First of all, Thomas and I are getting the weirdest tan lines.  Thomas’s aren’t too bad, but because I wear gloves and riding gear while riding, I am dark brown now but only from the knee to my ankle, and from just above my elbow to my wrist.  Sacrifice, Thomas says, great sacrifices.

Today was a short day, according to Thomas, just above forty miles, but we had to move fast because storms were coming in.  I got slightly showered on for a few minutes, but it felt good.  When it appeared that we had beaten the storms we stopped for lunch.  I decided I wanted to eat at a place called “Linda’s Kitchen,” but apparently it was only a bakery.  So then we went into a place that serves pizza but was a chicken and fish restaurant, that had no place to sit and eat I might add.  Here’s the conversation we had with the person behind the counter:

Thomas: “So umm, what do you have?”
Counter-Person: “Well, we have pizza, but we’re really known for our chicken and fish.  We have lots of chicken and fish dishes, as you can see.  I really recommend a drumstick, chicken or fish.  But a lot of people order a bowl of chicken.”
Me: “Ok, we’ll have a pizza.”
Counter-Person: “Oh, ok.  What do you want on it?”
Thomas: “What can we get?”
Counter-Person: “Anything you want, really.  We can put our freshly made and famous chicken or fish on it, if you want.”
Me: “Ok, then, we’ll have sausage.”

Twenty minutes later when we open the pizza box, there was cheese dripping over one edge like a river or waterfall or something:

Thomas: “John, were you holding this sideways or something?”
Me: “No, I’m pretty sure I held it like a normal person would.”
Thomas: “Ok, well, it’s friggin cascading everywhere.  Yeah, I said it, it’s cascading.  Seriously, where does the pizza end and the box begin?  Who knows, because it’s a CASCADE!”
Me: “Hahahahahahahaha!”
Thomas: “Oh my god, I don’t even know what to do.”
Me: “Hahahahahaha!”
Thomas: “Seriously, we’re never getting a pizza from a chicken and fish place that has no seating.  Oh my god.”
Me: “Hahahahahaha!”

Various things that were said over our radios while riding:

Thomas: “In 0.4 miles, turn right onto (radio fuzz).”
Me: “What was that?”
Thomas: “Unicorns.  I love them.  They’re pretty.”

Near the end of the ride, when we were already in Akron and a new storm was coming in, some other hilarious things happened that I think will be appropriately captured in the radio conversation:

Thomas: “Ok, buddy, you’ll be on Market Street for 6.2 miles, then we’ll take a left and we’ll be done.”
Me: “Right-o, chief.”
Thomas: “Oh, umm, nevermind.  There’s rumble construction down here, I don’t want you on it.  I’ll turn around and cut you off before you get down here… oh you’re already here.  Stop, turn, slow down, do something, turn left here.”
A little while later.
Thomas: “Ok, take a right.  Then go straight.  Yeah, keep going straight… Oh, nevermind.  This road is randomly closed.  Take another right.”
A little bit later, after what feels like 6 miles, we turn back onto Market Street.
Thomas: “Is the road ok?”
Me: “It looks good.”
0.3 miles later, more rumble construction, I hang my head and start shaking it.
Thomas: “Woops.”

Also, Thomas and I found a really old penny in a parking lot.  That was cool.  I’m just typing up these stories as I go here.  While we were on one of many detours, these two conversations happened:

Thomas: “Ok, you should take your next right.”
Me: “Yeah, what do I do next?”
Thomas: “I just told you, take your next right.”
Me: “I already did that.”
Thomas: “Are you sure?  I have no idea where you are then.”
Me: “I took the right where you are parked, I cut through the parking lot.  I already passed you.”
Thomas: “Oh my god, you a**hole.”
Me: “Did I do the right thing?  Is it illegal for a biker to cut through a parking lot, too?”

Conversation 2:
Thoas: “Ok, take a left.”
Me: “Ok, chief.”
After a few minutes flying down a hill.
Me: “Thomas, I’m coming up to an intersection.  What do I do next?.... Thomas?... Thomas?.... Umm, ok, I’m on Eastwood, is that right?”
Thomas (finally): “If I had wanted you to turn, I would have friggin told you to turn.”
Hours later at Motel 6.
Thomas: “I thought it was pretty funny when you were asking me questions about what to do next and I wasn’t responding because I was talking to my girlfriend.”
Me: “Unbelievable.”

Those are all the stories from today.  I’ll add one more thing.  When I woke up thinking about Thomas’s knee and new skin, I thought of a song by the band Guano Apes.  I thought that it was called, “New Skin.”  But then I realized it was called “No Skin.”  But then I realized it was called “No Speech.”  Anyway, since I had Guano Apes on my mind, I figure I’ll leave lyrics from one of their best songs with you.  This is from their song, “Open Your Eyes.”  The band aren’t native English speakers, so I’ve cut out the verses that don’t make a lot of sense. 

“Hide your face forever
Dream and search forever
Have you ever been for sale?
When your isms get smart
Don’t split your mentality,
Without thinking twice
Your voice has got no reason.
Now is the time to face your lies

(chorus) Open your eyes, open your mind
Proud like a god don’t pretend to be blind
Trapped in yourself, break out instead
Beat the machine that works in your head

Do you think that you are better?
Really better than the rest?
Realize there’s a problem
I know that you can give your best

Have you ever had a dream?
Or is life just a trip?
A trip without chances
A chance to grow up quick”


No comments:

Post a Comment