Saturday, May 21, 2011

Great Heights

I am so thankful that tomorrow is a rest day because today was rough.  Biking about 190 miles in three days has not been a walk in the park by any means, but today, though the shortest, was by far the hardest. 

From strange but cool Cumberland, MD to Somerset, PA I took the Great Allegheny Passage for most of the 55 miles.  The first 20 miles I climbed up to an elevation of 2,300 feet on top of Mt. Savage.  Little did I know that around mile 45 or so I would have an encounter with the rolling hills of Pennsylvania.  And my are they rolling.  Tomorrow when I upload some of the pictures from the trip so far you might see how steep and long some of the hills were.  I really cannot believe that I survived all of them.

I did see a lot of awesome views.  Frostburg, MD was very nearly on the top of a mountain but had about everything you could ever want.  I highly suggest a vacation there for anyone who does not need extra comfort and a ton of stimulation.  Unfortunately I didn't have my camera with me because I hadn't yet seen anything worth taking a picture of, so I didn't bother taking it with me today.  But today I looked down from such great heights over very green fields that made all the climbing and sweating more than worth it (in the end... when I was doing the climbing I definitely didn't think some great heights' views would help any). 

I also crossed over the Mason-Dixon line as well as the Continental Divide.  It's incredible to me that in three days we've already passed through four states: Virginia, West Virginia, Maryland, and Pennsylvania.  I feel like I have seen all of the world that I need to but I know that there is plenty more to see and plenty more to do.

As I am climbing up to great heights, don't forget to donate to the Polaris Project.  You can find links to donating on the side panel of this page or on the "Donations" page.  I'm doing all of this tough biking for the 27 million slaves in the world.  I hope and pray that you all will support my ride by donating, and by doing so helping to help and save those many enslaved.  I can't tell you how many revolutions of the wheel I've gotten up to, but I'm definitely making large strides to my goal of 27 million revolutions.  So I hope that you will help me get to my goal of $5,000.00 of donations.

No comments:

Post a Comment