Saturday, July 9, 2011

Didn't Get There

Arizona, the only state that we were unable to bike into.  The more I think about it the more I wish I had the opportunity to challenge the southern Rockies and the Continental Divide, but perhaps that mountainous challenge will need to be conquered in a future evolution of 27 Million Revolutions.  I had planned to include a Polaris Project update on as many states as possible that we biked through, though.  A little conundrum of sorts: if I didn't bike through Arizona, can I still include an update on human trafficking for that state?  Of course.  Who was I kidding?  Updates on human trafficking are far more important than whether or not I biked through that state.  So here is a recent story coming out of Arizona (tomorrow will showcase a similar story from Connecticut):

Chilling 911 Call: Sex Trade Victim Hides from Pimp

Updated: Monday, 27 Jun 2011, 9:25 PM MST
Published : Monday, 27 Jun 2011, 9:25 PM MST

PHOENIX - We're hearing a chilling 911 call from a 15-year-old girl who feared for her life. She got into a fight with her alleged pimp over money.

Literally hiding as she talks to dispatchers on the phone -- and to make matters worse, at any second, her phone's battery about to die.

Dispatch: 911 what's the location of your emergency?
Victim: I don't know I really don't know… Please can you send (inaudible)
Dispatch: Hello?
Victim: yes?
Dispatch: Ma'am?
Victim: I do not know where I'm at

It's 2:30 a.m. She's 15 years old, alone and afraid. A child prostitute, who'd just jumped out the window of a moving vehicle, trying to get away from her alleged pimp -- a 6'8, 300 pound man named Chad Walker.

Victim: Don't call this phone back or else I'm gonna die please don't call this phone back
Click. Dispatchers are left hanging, wondering if the teen's ok. Moments later, the phone rings again. It's her, and she says walker is nearby.
Victim: He's looking for me and I'm hiding he's calling me
Dispatch: Is he there with you right now?
Victim: No he keeps calling me
Dispatch: Ok I need you to go to a street corner and find out where you're at.
Victim: I am scared (inaudible)
Dispatch: Keep me on the phone sweetie keep me on the phone sweetie keep me on the phone ok
She's still sobbing, afraid her phone battery is about to die. Walker gets so close -- she can see him from where she's hiding.
Victim: He's parked right at the house… He jumped out of the car.
But before he can find her, sheriff's deputies arrive. The victim, however, still too scared to move.
Dispatch: Stay right there they're going to help you ok?

Sheriff's deputies located that victim, dressed in just underwear and a tank top. They found cuts on her face and bruises on her body.

Walker is now behind bars facing aggravated assault.

(The video didn't work for me, but if you want to listen to the call and, I think, hear some more on the story, follow this link:
http://www.myfoxphoenix.com/dpp/news/crime/chilling-911-call-sex-trade-victim-hides-from-pimp-6-27-2011 )

No comments:

Post a Comment