Monday, March 21, 2011

"Look at Him Go"

As I was out riding in the city the other day, I passed a mother holding the hand of her young son on the sidewalk.  Of course, I was on the street, I'd rather endanger myself than pedestrians.  But as I rode by, the mother said to her son, "Look at him go!"  And the young son replied, "Wooow..." 

I wish I could say that I was riding fast at that moment, but I don't think I was.  I think the son was just truly fascinated by seeing someone dressed up in biking clothes go riding by.  The thought that my riding can elicit such an excited response for anyone greatly encouraged me.  Of course, neither the mother nor the son know why I am spending so much time on the road biking around, but my hope and prayer is that my riding can cause the same excited response out of many others, whether through reading this blog, talking to me before and during the trip, or just seeing me with my advertisements as I ride across the country.

I am very grateful to that mother and son because not only was I encouraged to keep riding but I also came to a realization.  Never in my career as a student has someone said, "Look at him go..."  My ride, this cause, are far more important and inspirational than anything I may do as a student.  And what I do as a student has infinitely more meaning because of what I'm doing to fight human trafficking.  I have taken some time off from this blog to visit with my family and to catch up on my work.  My family is worthwhile, clearly, but I can honestly say that I will not fall behind on providing all my faithful readers with new posts at least twice a week from now on.  I simply cannot rationalize putting so much time into my work anymore just to get an A- instead of a B.  27 million slaves in the world is serious. 

So please, don't be a stranger.  Come back often.  At least once a week I will post on some current issue or statistic concerning trafficking so that you can be better informed about trafficking in our world, in our country, and perhaps even in your local communities. 

No comments:

Post a Comment